Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Journeying to Croatia


The train, bustling along from Rome to Ancona, Italy, began decelerating as if approaching a station. I looked to my right and only saw green trees through the water-droplet covered window—it had been raining for about ten minutes. The intercom broke the slight murmur growing in the cabin, “Attenzione, …”. Halfway through the announcement an Italian in a posh, fitted suit in front of me threw up his arms and muttered something under his breath. I remained still, my head resting on my left hand as I looked at him, then to my left to scan for a translator, then to the ground in defeat that I would learn what was just announced. About five minutes later, the conductor walked through the cabin and during a brief discussion with a Croatian family seated a few seats in front of me, I overheard my answer—a tree had fallen on the tracks and people were on their way to remove it. I’m glad I gave a 2.5-hour buffer for my ferry.

An hour and 45 minutes later, the train began moving again accompanied by a loud ovation from the crowd. Once the train finally arrived at the Ancona station, I debarked and quickly began scanning for a “Port/Ferry” symbol (I really need to start looking at the instructions before I arrive in a location). No such sign was spotted and I was quickly running out of time. I entered a convenience store, asked the cashier for directions, and was pointed in the correct direction and armed with the correct bus number. I walked in the pointed direction and joined an older Croatian gentlemen waiting at the same station. I simply asked if I was in the correct location and he immediately took ownership of my future and ensured I did not deviate from that point forward. He even waited for me after he went through Passport Control so that he could physically point to the exact boat I needed to board. I walked up to the side of the ferry 10 minutes before departure. Always cutting it close…

Italian Countryside from Train

Ferry to Croatia

Sun setting over Italy

1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying my electronic mini-vacations reading your updates. It really makes the wood paneling of the office, the roar of the steam leaks, and the (literal AND metaphorical) grayness of the miles of piping surrounding me disappear for just a minute or two.

    ReplyDelete